Thursday, March 13, 2008

Kindergarten, here we come!

We finally got our curriculum in the mail last week, and I am so excited. We got Sing, Spell, Read, and Write, Math-U-See, and A Reason for Handwriting. I also picked up a secondhand K-3 Science book at a great price, so we can use some of those activities too.

Hannah loves the lessons already. I pulled out one of the kindergarten level story books the day we received the reading curriculum, and she read through the whole first book without any help! I knew she could sound out words a bit, but I had no idea how much she already understood. She's also starting about 9 lessons into the math book as well.

Sweet, stubborn Hannah... She wants to tackle the whole curriculum at once! I have to watch her closely and limit the amount of time we spend on lessons, because she never wants to quit! Persistently forging ahead, she completes page after page, activity after activity, all while rubbing her eyes and yawning. But, if I suggest stopping for the day, she responds with screams and wails as if I am punishing her! Fortunately, the lessons involve songs and games too, so I can break up the workbook time, and I only attempt 1-2 hours of formal learning per day. She reminds me so much of myself at her age... I only hope I can teach her to relax and have fun instead of making school as all-consuming as I did. I almost feel like I have to de-motivate her so she won't push herself until she burns out. But, I'm also thrilled that she has such a love for learning!

So, at Hannah's request, Kindergarten, here we come!

No comments:

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.