Monday, August 17, 2009

A Music-Filled Life

As I write this, Ben is running around the room playing Vivaldi's Spring on a trumpet he fashioned out of a rolled-up paper taped together with stickers. Actually, all three kids love music, especially classical music. Hannah can identify many famous classical works just by hearing their rhythm tapped out on the floor, and Becca dances and sways to music like the ballerina she wishes she could be. They all enjoy singing and sing well for their age, but Ben seems to have a musical gift that he feels compelled to express.

We recently had our piano tuned for the first time in several years, and Ben has fallen in love with playing it. Sometimes he begs me to teach him, so he is learning fast and slow, loud and soft, the C Scale, some simple chords, letter names, very basic note reading, a few easy songs, and how to play with different fingers on different keys. I am impressed with how quickly he understands the concepts and memorizes songs I teach him. For example, I taught him "This Little Light of Mine" in about 10 minutes while we were waiting for church to start one day. He also self-corrects, recognizing when he hits a wrong note and trying again until he finds the one that sounds right.

Other times, he just plays, inventing his own songs that actually sound somewhat pretty and that vary based on his mood. Frequently, he ends on a "C," appearing to intrinsically understand that his song sounds resolved when he finishes with that note, as he is playing in a C Scale. He longs to play Josh's trumpet, and though he is capable of playing a note correctly, he lacks the breath support to play well. He also strums on the guitar we bought them, but he does not yet have the coordination or finger strength to play anything that sounds like a song. So, he keeps coming back to the piano, where he experiments and innovates and learns about music bit by bit as he plays.

My sweet, sensitive Ben always has a song in his heart and it just spills out of him all day long. Frequently, I can hear him singing as he plays... or when he is in the car or in his bed or almost anywhere else he goes! I occasionally have to ask him to stop singing in my ear while I am trying to explain something to him. I do not even think he realizes that he is singing sometimes. Though I feel annoyed at times, he reminds me very much of myself. I taught myself how to play basic piano as a kid and I walked around singing at all times. Several years ago, I even stumbled across a tape that I made when I was maybe seven years old. The whole tape was filled with songs that I created as I sang - full of random, silly lyrics that I sang so earnestly. I remember thinking as a child that my songs were just as good as the "real" songs that I learned in school and imagined that I would sing and write music professionally someday.

Even as a mom, music has woven through my life like the delightful choruses in a musical - entertaining and not entirely out of place, though a bit silly for "real life." Josh and I have made up dozens of songs for the kids, telling them how much we love them or how we are going to catch them and tickle them or even that they are making us grumpy and will face punishment if they do not change their behavior. Now that I think about it, I may have learned this somewhere else... I believe that my dad invented a silly song about eating ravioli that the kids still sing whenever I make it for lunch or dinner! So, how could Ben help singing all day long?

As I finish writing this journal, Ben has the mp3 player in the living room set to Pachelbel's Canon while he and Becca play and get into mischief. As much as I enjoy quiet at times, I love having a house filled with music and singing. And someday, I will look around my quiet, empty house and wish for the slightly discordant plinking of piano keys, the silly lyrics of made-up songs, and the happy laughter that comes from my children's precious, music-filled hearts. Hmmm... I think I could write a song about that!

2 comments:

Susan J. said...

What a wonderful home you have!

Keeper of the Zoo said...

Thanks, Susan!

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.