Monday, December 14, 2009

Dabbling in the Domestic Arts

As part of the holiday celebrations at Hannah's school, the students are learning about gift giving. Each student has a "heart partner" for social studies (the school pairs kindergarteners with first graders), and the kids have to make gifts for their heart partners only using items they already have at home. Well, I had several sheets of red felt left over from making Hannah's lobster costume for Halloween, so we decided to sew a heart pillow for her heart partner.

At first, I did not think that Hannah could handle sewing at her age, but then I remembered Little House on the Prairie and imagined that Laura Ingalls was already sewing quite a bit by the age of six. So, we decided to tackle the project together.

First, I cut out two hearts from the red felt, and, since I had no stuffing in the house, we cut tiny strips of felt to use for the heart's filling. I pinned the whole project together, threaded the needle, and then showed Hannah how to do a simple running stitch - up and down through both layers of fabric. As I suspected, she needed quite a bit of help and her stitches followed a somewhat crooked path along the edge of the fabric, but overall she did a great job.

At first, I alternated with her, sewing a little when she needed a break. By the end, though, she sewed for a good length of time without my help, and when she got tired, I pushed the needle through the correct spot, and she pulled the thread out on the other side. Finally, as we neared completion, she excitedly took the heart and decided to finish all by herself. She really impressed me with her ability and determination, and she got to experience the satisfaction of completing a difficult project.

In attempting this project, I expected that Hannah might get excited about sewing and creating useful items, but I did not anticipate the effect it would have on the other children. Ben and Becca remained glued to our sides as Hannah and I worked, eagerly watching each tiny stitch. I explained to Hannah, to help her understand how to sew, that she should do the running stitch in the same way that she would work the laces through her lacing cards. As a result, the lacing cards have become a new favorite toy in our house. Ben and Becca spent the morning working on this:

"Look!" they exclaimed again and again, "I'm sewing a stop sign pillow! I'm making a stuffed orange!" They enthusiastically practiced, hoping that they, too, would be able to sew someday.

Little did I know, when taking on this school project for Hannah, that it would become a practical lesson in domestic arts, a chance for fine motor development, and an inspiration for all three kids to learn a new skill! Now, if only I could teach them to repair their own clothes... I guess I have to wait a few more years for that!

2 comments:

Miracleman said...

God Bless you for being such a great mother. Some moms don't even have time to spend time with their children. Also, the heart looks so beautiful! AND I AGREE, LEARNING IS LIFE!

Keeper of the Zoo said...

Thank you for the compliment!

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.