Thursday, December 3, 2009

Expectantly Waiting

Wikipedia defines Advent as "a season observed in many Western Christian churches, a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas." Although we kicked off our Christmas season with a train ride on the Polar Express, we desire our kids to focus mostly on the real reason for our celebration - Jesus' birth. So, as I pondered getting an Advent calendar to help us count down the days until Christmas, I wanted to make sure that they would be expectantly waiting for Jesus, and not presents or Santa. Unfortunately, nearly everything I found was either extremely expensive or poorly made.

Then, yesterday, a friend of mine posted a link to the Advent calendar she created for her family. I instantly loved the idea and decided to make a version of my own for our family this Christmas. Fortunately, I already had a lot of coordinating paper, so I did it almost completely with supplies I had on hand. I only had to purchase double-sided tape and some clothespins.

I began by cutting out 25 four-inch squares of solid colors and 25 three-inch squares of decorative paper. I happened to have paper with leaves on it, but anything festive will do. After laying out the solid-colored papers in the order I desired, I arranged the smaller papers on top of the larger ones. Then, I cut out 25 one-inch squares of various colors, wrote the numbers 1-25 on them, and added one to each set of squares. Using double-sided tape, I put each design together to create a pretty, numbered square - one for each day of Advent.

Then, I typed out 25 different verses, and centered them on 3.5-inch squares in Photoshop. I used Photoshop because I have many decorative fonts available in it, but any word processing program will work as long as the verses fit on the back of the fancy squares already designed. 3.5 inches worked well for me. Then, I printed the verses out on nice cardstock and affixed them, in order, to the back of each numbered square.

I used most of the same verses as my friend, but I did change a couple of them. These are the verses I used for each day:

  1. In the sixth month, God sent an angel to Nazareth . . .The angel went to Mary and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” (Luke 1:26,28)
  2. The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus . . .” (Luke 1:30,31)
  3. “He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord will give him the throne of his Father David, and he will reign forever; his kingdom will never end.” (Luke 1:32,33)
  4. The angel said, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.” (Luke 1:35)
  5. “For nothing is impossible with God,” said the angel. “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered.”May it be as you have said.” (Luke 1:37.38)
  6. An angel appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife . . .She will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Jesus because he will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:20,21)
  7. All of this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Mary will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” which means, ”God with us.” (Matthew 1:22,23)
  8. When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. (Matthew 1:24)
  9. In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken . . . So Joseph also went up from Nazareth to Bethlehem the town of David. (Luke 2:4)
  10. Joseph went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. (Luke 2:5)
  11. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger because there was no room in the inn. (Luke 2:6,7)
  12. And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. (Luke 2:8,9)
  13. But the angel said to them, ”Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people.” (Luke 2:10)
  14. “Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. . . You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger,” said the angel. (Luke 2:11,12)
  15. Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.” (Luke 2:13,14)
  16. When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” (Luke 2:15)
  17. So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. (Luke 2:17)
  18. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. (Luke 2:17,18)
  19. Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God . . . (Luke 2:19,20)
  20. After Jesus was born in Bethlehem, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born King of the Jews? We saw his star and have come to worship him.” (Matthew 2:1,2)
  21. They went on their way, and the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. (Matthew 2:9)
  22. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. . .and presented him with gifts of gold, incense, and myrrh. (Matthew 2:10,11)
  23. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
  24. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. (1 Timothy 1:15)
  25. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
Finally, I hung string from my curtains in my dining room, and clipped the squares to it with clothespins.

Each day during Advent, we will turn over a square and read the verse.

The kids love it and began begging to do it as soon as they came downstairs this morning. And I am thrilled that they are expectantly waiting for Christ this season... even as they wait for presents as well!

6 comments:

Aubrey&Adeline'sMama said...

I love it Karen! Not only does is look so nice, but it has a wonderful message and reminder for your entire family!

Keeper of the Zoo said...

Thanks, Michelle! I am very excited about it, and I love how the focus is on the real meaning of Christmas.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tutorial, Karen! If I have time this week I'm going to try to make one for my family too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the details about this! I too saw Val's and wanted to do the same thing...I am thinking about adding some activities though, like taking a plate of cookies to the neighbors, or read a Christmas story together, etc.
I LOVE it!

Susanne said...

That is AWESOME. I think I might have to do this this year!

Keeper of the Zoo said...

Thanks! It was my friend's idea, but I loved it, and it worked well for our family.

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.