Saturday, January 30, 2010

My New Favorite Author

Hannah came down from her room the other day, excited to show me her newest creation. She had written and illustrated a book about "Puppy," her favorite stuffed animal. Here is her book. I included the text of each page after it, with some corrected spelling and punctuation, to make it a little easier to read.

"The book about Puppy my stuffed animal."

"Once upon a time there was a puppy that lived in Ohio. Hannah her owner said she was cute. She had toys."

"One day puppy wandered off and got lost. Hannah was sad."

"One day Hannah went out to find Puppy."

"Then she heard a barking - arf arf. Then she ran into something. It was Puppy. We got popcorn and hot chocolate."

"I love Puppy. She is cute."

"The end. Hannah"

On Thursday, she brought the book into her kindergarten class, and her teacher allowed her to sit in the "author chair" and read her book to the class. Hannah was so excited! Now, she tells everyone that she wants to be an author and illustrator when she grows up. Should I tell her that is what I want to be someday, too?

5 comments:

Susan J. said...

What a wonderful book! Good job, Hannah!

Keeper of the Zoo said...

Thanks, Susan! She is very proud of herself. :-)

Amanda said...

Very cool. Hannah is a great author and illustrator. :) It made me think of these:

http://www.amazon.com/IlluStory-Make-Your-Own-Story/dp/0963679600

Kaylee's made two of them and I love them. I can't wait to show them to her kids when she's grown.

Laura said...

Good work! I was recently lecturing on the appropriate structure for a story, beginning - middle - end and she sure has a handle on it!

And I'm still waiting to be the "world renowned author" of my 3rd grade ambition... taking steps, though!

Keeper of the Zoo said...

I know - me too! My dream is to write a book someday...

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.