Friday, June 4, 2010

Goodbye to School

I very much look forward to homeschooling Hannah next year. Because of that, I am surprised at how sad I feel as her school year comes to an end. Today, when I picked her up from her last day of school, I had to fight back tears as I said goodbye to her wonderful kindergarten teacher and Spanish teacher, and I could see that they felt the same way. I never questioned their love for my sweet Hannah, and I knew they cared for her well when she was at school. Our decision to homeschool is the best thing for our family next year, but I also know we have given up something very good in exchange, and I will miss the school quite a bit.

Wrapping up the school year actually began last Friday with the kindergarten "Knowledge Fair." Each kid could choose a topic and create a display to teach others about that topic. Hannah chose Sea Creatures. Though I sometimes had to convince her to spend time after school working on it, for the most part, she enjoyed this project. We borrowed some lapbook printouts from www.homeschoolshare.com to organize the material, and she created a nice display to set up in the kindergarten room to explain what she learned.

She also brought her stuffed manatee.

After the Knowledge Fair, the kindergarten kids had their promotion ceremony. They all lined up while their teacher spoke. The kids had decorated their hats at home the week before the ceremony.

One by one the teacher called their names, and they walked across the stage. Their first grade heart partners took their hands and walked them over the bridge to officially become first graders.

They lined up and sang "It's a Small World" together before dismissing to their parents.

Hannah has loved her teacher so much this year! In fact, she often calls me by her teacher's name, and she ends nearly every journal entry with the words, "I love Mrs. F!"

I could not have asked for a better kindergarten year for Hannah, even as I am glad that we will be homeschooling together as a family next year. I will miss the school very much and I am sure we will keep in touch with many of the wonderful people we met there. Her experience has made her into a better student and me into a better teacher, and I will always be thankful for our time at the school. We are sadly, but confidently, moving on to our next adventure!

No comments:

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.