Friday, October 24, 2008

Pumpkin Fun

In light of the fall holidays, we decided to have a little fun with pumpkins while Daddy was at youth group on Wednesday night.

Better Homes and Gardens has a wonderful tool for creating pumpkin faces online. It is a great way for preschoolers to plan out what kind of jack-o-lantern they want. I let Hannah and Ben each have a large pumpkin, and I helped them use the website to choose their own eyes, noses, and mouths for their pumpkins. Then, I printed a stencil so I could carve their own designs into the pumpkins for them.

First, I removed the top and let them pull all of the seeds and "goop" out of the center of the pumpkin. We separated and cleaned the seeds and threw the rest away. Then, I used the stencils as a guide to carve the faces they created.

I think they turned out pretty cute:


Last year, I found a wonderful recipe for toasted pumpkin seeds, which results in the best pumpkin seeds I have ever tasted. I never liked the tough hulls, but this recipe involves boiling them in salt water to soften and season them, and then roasting them to produce crunchy, flavorful seeds. Even the kids like them! So, after cleaning up the kids, I used the seeds to make a delicious and healthy treat. Yum!

No comments:

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.