Saturday, September 20, 2008

Discovering Lapbooking

I discovered a wonderful educational tool the other day that I think will become a regular part of our homeschooling curriculum. I cannot believe that I never learned about this in my four years as an education major at a college known for its high quality teaching program! It is called "lapbooking."

A lapbook is a manila file folder, flattened and refolded in a specific way in order to make a book. Various colorful pockets, pictures, and small books are glued to the inside of the folder, each item containing pieces of information about the lapbook's theme. At the kindergarten level, the information is usually fairly simple, but high school students put together lapbooks containing essays, charts, and much more complex information. Seem confusing? I, too, needed pictures and examples before I figured out exactly how it worked, so I will share our first lapbook with you.

Because of Hannah's current fascination with scorpions, rattlesnakes, and animals that live in the Grand Canyon, I was thrilled to find a free "Desert Animals" lapbook at Home School Share. The pdf's on the site included printables and instructions to make a detailed lapbook about animals that live in American deserts. I did find that some of the information included was incorrect or incomplete, but for the most part, all of the facts needed were included on the webpage. If Hannah were older, I would have taught her how to look up facts about the animals by herself, but instead, I printed off the infomation, read it to her out loud, and had her pick out the facts we needed to make each booklet or activity. I wrote the details for her most of the time, but she wrote a few of the pages herself.

Hannah really seemed to enjoy lapbooking, especially since this lapbook focused on something that already interested her. Her love of bugs runs so deep right now, that when I showed her the photo labeled "scorpion," she announced that it was actually a giant desert hairy scorpion. I looked it up in our Audubon guide, and she was correct!

Here are a few pictures of the lapbook we finished yesterday. Ours actually ended up being two folders glued together on one side to make room for all of the little books and pockets.

The cover:


The inside:


A close up of one side:

No comments:

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.