Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fun With Paint

After postponing the mess for a few too many days, I finally pushed up my sleeves, stripped the kids, and tackled the painting portion of the globe project.

I put the paper mache ball in a basin to keep it from rolling away across our beige carpet as Hannah gobbed on the blue paint. I also gave Ben a sheet of paper to paint so he would not feel left out.

Then, I had a brilliant idea! Ben had studied the color blue (which was the color paint we were using) and the letter "b" this week in preschool, and I had an idea for a project that would incorporate both concepts. I decided also to teach the kids the concept of symmetry.

First, we used a couple of practice pages to learn how to paint on only one half of the paper and then fold the paper in half to create the same pattern on the other side. Next, I folded a piece of paper in half and cut it into the shape of butterfly wings ("b" is for butterfly...). Ben painted a pattern on one wing, and we folded it in half to make the matching wing. We talked about symmetry and how a butterfly has two matching wings that are the same on each side.

When we finished that portion of the lesson, Ben spent the rest of the time just painting a page solid blue. Meanwhile, Hannah worked hard and covered her globe with blue paint.

Once the paint on both projects dried, we moved on to the finishing touches. I helped Ben glue the center of the butterfly wings to his solid blue page. Then, we attached a popsicle stick, colored it brown, and drew a face and antennae to complete Ben's blue, symmetrical butterfly.For the globe, I cut out the shape of North America from craft foam, and we glued it to the globe. We will be using straight pins and little paper strips to label all of the places we discuss, and we will add the rest of the continents as we learn about them in future units.
I am excited by how well both crafts turned out. Maybe I will be a little braver about tackling more fun and messy projects in the future!

No comments:

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.