Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First Day at Preschool

Hannah and Ben had their first day at the one-day-a-week preschool program. Ben was especially thrilled, as this was his first time attending. He went in the morning, from 9:00-11:30. I worried a lot about dropping him off, because he is so sensitive and hesitant in new situations. I worried needlessly, though. The fact that he cried last year when we dropped Hannah off because he could not stay with should have given me a clue...

We arrived nice and early after some pictures outside our house. I paid his tuition and started to walk him down the stairs to his classroom. He turned to me and said, "Why are you still here? Aren't you going home?" I laughed and explained that I at least wanted to walk him downstairs and help him get settled first. Inside, I felt a mixture of pride and sadness that he wanted to go by himself. We organized his backpack and school materials, and then I left. I did manage to get a quick, half-hearted kiss before I walked unnoticed through the door.

I picked Ben up after his class and he bubbled with enthusiasm about his day. He painted and played games and learned about apples. I think this will be a great fit for him this year!

A little over an hour later, we returned for Hannah's 1:00-3:30 class. What a crazy day! I spend about an hour and a half driving on Mondays just dropping off and picking up each kid from preschool.

Hannah has a great opportunity this year at the school. Because she completed the 4-year-old class last year, her teacher allows me to send kindergarten work for her to do during seat work time. She can do crafts and activities and games with the other kids, and then she can work independently when they do what she has already mastered. Additionally, the teacher lets her read parts of the stories to the class, because she is reading so well. She can still make friends and interact with kids her age, but she will not feel bored repeating the same material.

I am excited about this year and so are the kids. Now if only I can survive all of that driving...

No comments:

Where homeschooling is just a small part of becoming life-long learners.